On this Tuesday, June 7, 2022, Central Minister Shri Nitin Gadkari and the Chief Minister of Bihar Shri Nitish Kumar has inaugurated the Mahatma Gandhi Setu’s east lane. The Mahatma Gandhi Setu is now ready with a fresh look and will help the people of state with seamless connectivity. Some important points about the bridge is as follows:
- The Mahatma Gandhi Setu/Bridge connects North Bihar to South Bihar.
- The bridge is built over the river Ganga.
- It is 5750 metres or 5.7 Kilometres in length.
- It connects Patna district in the south to Hajipur in Vaishali district to the north.
- Its construction was started in 1972.
- It was first inaugurated by the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1982.
- From 1982 to 2017 the bridge served the people but later it became old and required reconstruction.
- Afterwards, Gandhi Setu restoration project was launched to introduce triangular steel supports for smooth connectivity.
- In the year 2020, the western lane of Gandhi Setu was also changed in the same way.
- Now, in 2022 the eastern lane is also reconstructed. After the completion of the work of both the lanes, now the Gandhi Setu is ready in a completely new look.
- Now the people will be relieved of traffic jams which was a big problem. Earlier, it took almost 3 to 4 hrs to cross the bridge due to one lane being functional.
- Now, after both the lanes being functional, People will be able to reach Patna from Hajipur in just 15 minutes.
- The new reconstructed bridge has also taken care of separate lanes for cycles and pedestrians.
- It is the second longest steelbridge to be built in India.
- The Bridge is also known as the lifeline of Bihar.
Read More: Petroleum Reserves found in Bihar
Also See: Largest Gold Reserve of India in Bihar