PM Poshan Scheme also known as PM Poshan Shakti Nirman is a central Scheme which replaces the famous Mid-Day Meal scheme known as the National Programme of Mid-Day Meal in Schools. The Pradhan Mantri Poshan Scheme PM-POSHAN, was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by the Prime Minister in September 2021 with a budget of Rs.1.31 trillion for the purpose of delivering one hot cooked meal at government and government-aided schools.
PM Poshan Scheme Overview
PM Poshan Scheme which stands for Pradhan Mantri Poshan Shakti Nirman is a scheme dedicated to the students of classes I to VIII of such schools which are Government Schools or Government aided schools. The scheme aims at providing the children with nutritious food. The PM Poshan Scheme replaces or is a new name of the earlier Mid Day Meal Scheme of schools. Through this scheme the Government aims to solve hunger and education the two most persistent challenges of the country.
PM Poshan Scheme Important Facts
|Scheme Name||PM POshan SHAkti Nirman (PM-POSHAN)|
|Full Form||Pradhan Mantri Poshan Shakti Nirman|
|Earlier Known As||National Programme of Mid-Day Meal in Schools|
|Under the Act||National Food Security Act, 2013|
|Implemented By||Ministry of Education|
|Period of the Scheme||5 years (2021-22 to 2025-26)|
|Type of Scheme||Centrally Sponsored Scheme|
|Objective||To improve the nutritional status of children |
studying in classes I-VIII of Govt. or Govt. aided
|Financial Outlay||Rs 1.31 Trillion|
PM Poshan Scheme Objective
The objective of PM Poshan Scheme is discussed below:
- To encourage poor and disadvantaged children to attend schools and carry on their eduation.
- Incentivise school attendance by providing a meal.
- Provide appropriate Nutrition.
- Providing nutritional support to children of elementary stage in drought-affected and disaster affected areas during summer vacation.
- Improving the nutritional status of eligible children in Government and Government aided schools.
PM Poshan Scheme Features
The major focus or main features of the Pradhan Mantri Poshan Scheme are as follows:
- Supply of 100 grams of food grains per child per school day for primary and 150 grams for upper primary at the rate set by National Food Security Act which is Rs.1 per Kg for coarse grains, Rs.2 per kg for wheat, and 3 per kg for rice.
- It also has a provision of hot cooked meal to children of pre-schools or Bal Vatika (before class I) in primary schools
- It includes cost of ingredients, for example pulses, vegetables, cooking oil, other condiments and fuel. The per child per day cooking cost is ₹ 4.97 for primary and ₹ 7.45 for upper primary w.e.f. 1st April, 2020.
- Cook-cum-helpers to get honorarium at the rate of Rs.1000/- per month for 10 months in a year.
- It also include transportation assistance for transportation of food grains from FCI godown to school door steps in alignment with the rate of PDS.
- It also include provisions for Management, Monitoring and evaluations, Provision of Meals during summer vacations in drought/ disaster affected areas, Kitchen-cum-store area, Kitchen devices, Repair of kitchen-cum-stores, Fortification of food items and Innovation / Flexibility component.
- Use of locally-grown nutritional food items will be encouraged from “school nutrition gardens”.
- It also conceives the idea of community participation like Tithi Bhojan in which people serve food to children on special occasion.
- It will also enable involvement of Farmers Producer Organizations, and Women Self Help Groups in the implementation of the scheme.
PM Poshan Scheme Nutrition Norm
A Nutrition Norm or Standard is set in the PM Poshan Scheme on a per child per day basis. It is given below:
|Upper Primary||700||40 gms|
PM Poshan Scheme Food Norm
A Food Norm or Standard is also set in the PM Poshan Scheme on a per child per day basis. It is given below:
|Level||Foodgrains||Pulses||Vegetable||Oil and Fats||Salts and Condiments|
|Primary||100 gms||20 gms||50 gms||5 gms||As per need|
|Upper Primary||150 gms||30 gms||75 gms||7.5 gms||As per need|
PM Poshan Scheme Summary
The PM Poshan Scheme or PM POshan SHAkti Nirman (PM-POSHAN) is a newly constructed or renamed Mid Day meal scheme for school children. It will help in bringing children closer to school and hence providing education to the children population of India. Hand in hand it also provides nutrition to children and hence creating awareness on health. The project will also help in high enrolment in schools and regular attendance. Also, Central Government has requested States/ UTs to add millets to the diet in the region where they are eaten to add to the nutritional value of the diet.
For more information on PM Poshan Scheme you can visit the official website at education.gov.in