Jal Jeevan Hariyali Mission is a key mission launched by the Government of Bihar. It was launched by the Chief Minister of Bihar Shri Nitish Kumar on August 9, 2019 from Champapur village of West Champaran District. The objective of Jal Jeevan Hariyali Mission is to protect the state from water scarcity as 280 blocks of the state was declared drought prone and in several other region of the state, the water table is going down. Therefore by this initiative the Government wants to protect any unforeseen events in the future and make the state water surplus.
What is Jal Jeevan Hariyali
Jal Jeevan Hariyali Yojana has been started by the Chief Minister of Bihar Shri Nitish Kumar to plant trees, construct ponds and wells in the state. Under Jal Jeevan Hariyali Yojana, many plants will be planted in the state and traditional sources of water, ponds, puddles and wells will be constructed and the existing ponds and wells will be rejuvenated by the state government so that the water table in the state remains at the optimum level. There is a goal to invest approx Rs. 24000 Crore in the scheme in the span on three years.
One of the objectives of the Jal Jeevan Hariyali Yojana is that the agricultural sector can get underground water and the water level of the land can increase. In this scheme, farmers will be given subsidy for making ponds etc. This will enable them to irrigate their fields hassle free.
Jal Jeevan Hariyali Important Facts
|Scheme||Jal Jeevan Hariyali|
|Launched By||Shri Nitish Kumar|
|Launch Place||West Champaran, Bihar|
|Objectives||Water Security of the State|
|Beneficiaries||Common People, Farmers|
|Subsidy Amount to Farmers||Upto Rs 75500/-|
|Launch Date||August 9, 2019|
|Official Website Farmers||https://dbtagriculture.bihar.gov.in/|
|Total Outlay till 2022||Rs 24524 Crore|
|Slogan||“जल-जीवन-हरियाली, तभी होगी खुशहाली”|
|Department||In coordination of multiple Depts.|
|Nodal Department||Rural Development Dept. Govt. of Bihar|
|Total Components||11 (Eleven)|
Components of Jal Jeevan Hariyali
There are eleven components of Jal Jeevan Hariyali. They are as following
- To identify public water structures and make them encroachment free.
- Renovation of public water structures such as ponds / puddles / streams / pines.
- Identifying Public Wells and Renovating them.
- Construction of soakage/recharge/other water harvesting structures alongside public wells/pumps.
- Construction of check dams and other structures of water harvesting in small rivers / drains and in water harvesting areas of hilly areas.
- Creation of new water sources and transfer of water from surplus river water area to water deficit areas.
- Construction of roof-rain water harvesting structures in buildings.
- Nursery creation and intensive plantation.
- Use of alternative crops, drip irrigation, organic farming and other new techniques.
- Promotion of solar energy use, and energy saving.
- Awareness Campaigns on Jal Jeevan Hariyali.
Subsidy to Farmers under Jal Jeevan Hariyali
There is a provision of subsidy of upto Rs. 75500/- under Jal Jeevan Hariyali to the farmers of the state. This is to ensure that the farmers after building or renovating the water structures can irrigate their fields. Under the provisions the farmers can get the subsidy amount to irrigate at least 1 acre of land. The eligibility of the farmers has been divided into two categories:
- Individual: In this category there are those farmers who want to irrigate minimum 1 acre of land and want to apply individually for this scheme.
- Group Category: This category includes farmers with less land holdings. In this category, more than one farmer can apply for irrigation in one acre or one unit by forming a group. Apart from this, those farmers who want to take advantage of this scheme together in more than 5 hectares of land, they will be given 100 percent subsidy according to the actual cost.
For more information on the Scheme visit the official website of Jal Jeevan Hariyali given above.